If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (917) 423-6364

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO Can Help with Your Residential Fire Damage

9/29/2021 (Permalink)

a beautiful lantern lit in the dark Candles can add both beauty and fragrance to rooms. Unattended candles can also cause fire damage to homes.

Candles can add both beauty and fragrance to rooms. Unattended candles can also cause fire damage to homes.

A homeowner needed assistance with fire damage in his daughter's room after leaving a candle burning and blowing a piece of newspaper into the flames. The fire was extinguished quickly by firefighters, but the smoke damage was widespread.

Remove Charred Items

The room that contained the candle's contents was too badly damaged to allow for cleaning, so it had to be taken out. The techs don't dispose of any items in the room without homeowner approval or an adjuster. This ensures property owners know the status of their restoration and SERVPRO® is within the insurance policy's coverage.

Testing Before Cleaning

Before attempting to remove smoke residues from a room, it is crucial that they are tested before any treatment can be applied. The amount of smoke residue depends on the temperature of your fire, as well as the items that have been burned, so both dry and moist smoke could be present in the same area.

Dry cleaning sponges are used by techs to gently remove dry smoke from walls and other painted surfaces. Wet smoke requires solvents to loosen its grip on surfaces.

Odor Control For The Bedroom

It is important to remove charred materials from the room. This will help to reduce fire odors. Hot air expands when a fire is lit, so it pushes the odorous smoke through porous objects. There are many ways to remove the scents, including thermal fogging.

Duct Inspection

Although the fire was contained to the bedroom of the daughter, the family also used the HVAC. The potential for soot to spread through the home via the conduit work was high. SERVPRO® technicians cleaned out the ducts to remove any lingering odors.

SERVPRO® returns properties damaged by fire to their preloss condition.

Other News

View Recent Posts

" "